Modern Miracle

Does God still work miracles, even today?  My answer to this question is “Yes.” Why? The reason is because of what I have witnessed in the life of my youngest brother, Daniel.


I still remember the night of March 31, 2008. I was six years old, and my younger brother, Samuel, was five. My mother was seven months pregnant, and the new baby, Daniel, was very active. However, on the day before Daniel was born, he wasn’t as active as usual. My parents were concerned about his lack of movement. So my mother went to her doctor, who did an ultrasound that revealed that there was an issue, and that the baby had to be taken out immediately. Late in the evening of March 31, Daniel was born. He was about seventeen inches long, and weighed about two pounds and nine ounces. He was premature, and had a 50-50 chance of survival, and was sent to the NICU, a place where care is provided for babies in critical conditions. There he would stay for over a month.

I remember the trips we took to the NICU after school, just looking at our brother, lying there in the incubator. Sometimes, when we were about to leave, it was as if Daniel could sense it, and he would hold my mother’s hand tightly. Other times, we would visit the NICU in the evenings, and we would stand around the incubator and sing the song “My God is so great, so strong and so mighty – there’s nothing my God cannot do for you!”

Then came the day, five weeks after Daniel was born, when he was allowed to come home with us. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was naptime in the kindergarten class that Samuel and I were in, and while Samuel was sleeping, I was wide awake, as usual. I heard a knock at the door of the classroom and our teacher went to see who it was. It turned out to be my dad, who was there to pick us up from school. I was excited about escaping naptime, but I wondered why we were leaving school so early. Then came even better news! Daniel was well enough to go home with us! We were a very excited family that day, as we drove home with Daniel in the car seat. The words of the song we had sung to Daniel became very real to me – “My God is so great, so strong and so mighty – there’s nothing my God cannot do for you!” – and me! Daniel’s journey became an inspiration to me, and strengthened my faith in God’s miracle power.

Does God still work miracles today? Yes, He has the same power He revealed thousands of years ago in Bible times, and He is willing to work miracles in our lives.

- Ilcias Vargas, Jr.


Watch the Video...


Comments

Popular Posts